Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin
Lion triumphant andiron
1849 (designed) -1852 (made)
Manufactured by John Hardman & Company, Birmingham, UK
h. 48,2 cm
MARKS : Inscribed with the Earl of Shrewsbury’s motto 'Prest d'accomplir'
PROVENANCE : Commissioned by John Talbot, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury, for the Grand Dining Hall at Alton Towers, Staffordshire, 1850 - Completed and delivered to Alton Towers in November 1852 - Thence by descent to Bertram Arthur Talbot, 17th Earl of Shrewsbury, until 1856 - Scheduled to be auctioned by Messrs. Christie & Manson, 6th July 1857, lot 2432, but withdrawn from the sale - By descent, collection of Charles Henry John Chetwynd-Talbot, 20th Earl of Shrewsbury - Presumably dispersed with other house contents, 1st-3rd November 1918 - Presumably with the Fine Arts Society, London, 1970’s - Collection of Donald James Cooper, Congelow House, Yalding, Kent, probably acquired from the above dealers, ca. 1976-1977 - By descent to his widow Marie Beatrix Cooper, until 2018 - Gorringe’s Auction, Lewes, East Sussex, 4th December 2018, lot 309.
LITERATURE : Llewellywn Jewitt, Guide to Alton Towers and the Surrounding District, Edinburgh, 1869, page 34 (for a description of the grates and lions in the Grand Dining Hall) - Christie and Manson, Catalogue of the Magnificent contents of Alton Towers, auction catalogue, 6th July 1857, page 144, n°2432 - Paul Atterbury & Clive Wainwright, Pugin : a Gothic Passion, 1994, page 179 (for an illustration of the Eastnor lion).