Edward Burne-Jones (after)
Enoch, 1874 (designed) - 1909 (made)
Stained glass, with lead divisions
Made by Morris & Co. and painted by George Titcomb at Merton Abbey, Surrey, UK.
h. 128,5 cm - w. 50 cm
PROVENANCE : Commissioned for the Cheadle Royal Hospital Chapel, Greater Manchester, UK, 1911 - Removed from the Chapel, 2000's - Haslam & Whiteway, London, 2008 - American private collection until 2020.
SIMILAR PIECES : The Enoch drawing was also used for windows at Calcutta Cathedral, India, St Martin's Church, Brampton, Cumbria and Holy Trinity, Sloane Street, Chelsea. Other windows from the Cheadle Chapel are in the collections of the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, the Corning Museum of Glass, New York and the Stockport Story Museum, Greater Manchester, UK.
LITERATURE : Peter Cormack, 'Morris & Company's Stained Glass for the Chapel of Cheadle Royal Hospital : From Designs by William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones', Haslam & Whiteway Ltd., London, 2008, page 25, figure 21.
NOTE : The original cartoon for this window, listed as ‘BJ143', is in the collection of The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens, in San Marino, CA.