Edward Burne-Jones (after)
Saint John, 1876 (designed) - 1911 (made)
Stained glass, with lead divisions
Made by Morris & Co. and painted by William E. Stokes at Merton Abbey, Surrey, UK.
h. 127,5 cm - w. 51,5 cm
PROVENANCE : Commissioned for the Cheadle Royal Hospital Chapel, Greater Manchester, UK, 1911 - Removed from the Chapel, 2000's - Haslam & Whiteway, London, 2008 - American private collection until 2020.
SIMILAR PIECES : The Saint John drawing was also used for windows at Saint Mark's Church, New Ferry, All Saints Church, Coddington and Holy Trinity, Sloane Street, Chelsea. Other windows from the Cheadle Chapel are in the collections of the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, the Corning Museum of Glass, New York, and the Stockport Story Museum, Greater Manchester, UK.
LITERATURE : Peter Cormack, 'Morris & Company's Stained Glass for the Chapel of Cheadle Royal Hospital : From Designs by William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones', Haslam & Whiteway Ltd., London, 2008, page 6, figure 4.