He was an English designer of furniture, one of the Cotswold school of designers who sought to combine the traditions of rural craftsmanship with the theories and practice of William Morris. From 1902 Gimson worked at Daneway House, Sapperton, Gloucestershire, where he was intermittently associated with the brothers Ernest and Sidney Barnsley. His work is characterized by simplicity of design and careful choice of woods. An outstanding example is the set of pews and kneeling benches (c. 1912) in St. Andrew’s Chapel, Westminster Cathedral. From 1903 onwards, several pieces of furniture designed by him were executed by Peter Waals, who continued designing and making them after Gimson's death. Their style slowly evolved to more elegant and refined lines and materials like Macassar ebony or burr elm. Cotswold is the perfect transition between traditional Arts and Crafts and what will later be known as Art Deco.