Dining chair, 1898
Pearwood, original tooled and gilded leather
h. 97 cm - w. 46 cm - d. 54 cm
PROVENANCE : Commissioned with five other chairs in 1898 by Louis Coilliot, for his house 'Maison Coilliot', 14 rue de Fleurus, Lille, France - Thence by descent until 1992, when the furniture was sold by Maîtres Ader & Tajan, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 24th June 1992, lot 272 - French private collection - Christie's, London, 29th October 1997, lot 36 - Barry Friedman, New York - French private collection, since 2000.
SIMILAR PIECES : One of the other five chairs is in the collection of the Vitra Design Museum, Weil am Rhein, Germany - Amongst the rest of the furniture for the Coilliot dining room, one of the two armchairs is in the collection of the Musée d'Orsay, Paris, and the sideboard is in the collection of the Bröhan Museum, Berlin.
LITERATURE : Georges Vigne, 'Hector Guimard, Le Geste Magnifique de l'Art Nouveau', Paris, 2016, page 75 (for a period photograph of the chairs in situ in the the Castel Henriette dining room with Hector Guimard pictured).